Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Dreams: A Cherished Hope

     Are you who God wants you to be?  One thing that I have realized over the last year is how difficult it can be to be the person God created you to be.  Sometimes, it is because you don't listen for God's direction.  Sometimes it is simply because you don't know what that still small voice even sounds like.  Or maybe it is because what God wants for you just doesn't really seem like what you would want for yourself?  Either the idea is scary, or it just doesn't feel like it would fit with what you are currently doing.  Sometimes things from our past have a way of making us who we are...we listen to the voice that once ruled our every thought.  We believe things that are not really truth, because it is easier than believing that we are important and we can make a difference.  The truth is.......any of these things can lead down the same path, which to me is the path of disobedience.  We ignore God, we pretend that we don't hear Him.....we are really loud and choose to drown out His voice with many things.....some of which may be healthy, but many of which are not....drugs, alcohol, friendships, relationships and even ministry.  When we finally get to the place where we feel forced to listen and give up on our own ideas and decide to embrace what God is telling us, there is God patiently waiting on us.  I am simply no exception to ignoring God. 

     Many young girls have dreams of careers and jobs and marriage and kids.  God placed dreams in me as a young girl, but the ideas seemed simply ridiculous and too far out of my reach....that I ignored God for 30 some years.  I couldn't see how I could possibly ever achieve or reach either one of my dreams.  So, I did everything that I could to drown out anything that had to do with my dreams.  My two dreams as a little girl were something that I thought would go away over time, but that hasn't happened.  If anything my dreams have grown and have become my passion.  The first dream was to have a horse, which I will someday accomplish....because not only do I still dream of owning a horse, but I have a daughter that has the same love of horses that I do.  My second dream was to sing.  I just want to clarify what I mean.  I didn't want to be a rockstar by any means....but I just wanted to sing.  My first love was country music, but my heart has changed so much.  I was only introduced to Christian music shortly before I went back to college.  I now love Christian music as much if not more than I ever did country music.  After going back to college a few years back and having a completely different major and then God pretty much hitting me over the head to stop ignoring him.  I began a degree for music.  After going through nearly 2 years at college, God called me home to be with my children to homeschool them.  I had homeschooled previous to going to college...and I loved it, but I didn't have much support where we lived, so we chose to put the kids back in the school system.  Where we were living now, we had a great deal more support, so this once again became a good option.  After not being able to come up with another solution, I knew without a shadow of a doubt that God wanted me to withdraw from college.  So that is exactly what I did. This was one of the hardest things that I have ever done.  I was very confused, because I knew I was finally doing what God wanted....so to drop school...didn't make any sense, but I did.  It wasn't until sometime later that the opportunity came for me to be part of a new worship service at our church.  Although, I initially agreed to take the lead, leading in front of a congregation was one of the most frightening things and it was really difficult at first.  I put everyone out there that I could, so that I didn't have to talk.  As time went on, I began to feel God prompting me to stand up and do what He had called me to do.  I was really freaked out about it, initially.  But, God continued to change me into the person that He wanted me to be.  After some time, I became the worship leader and was leading many of the songs and even sharing personal stories and bible verses with the congregation.  I have never felt my heart so full of God's love, as I did what God asked me to do.  Nearly 2 months ago, I felt God's prompting again as God asked me to step down from my position.  This was the 2nd hardest thing that God has asked me to do...my heart which once felt so full....was now broken and shattered.  But, I knew without a shadow of a doubt that being obedient to God was the only way.  I really don't have a clue what God is doing....I wish I did.  What I do know, is that God has mighty plans for His people and this world....and sometimes the best thing that we can do.....is just move out of the way!

If there is something difficult that you are going through, you must know that God loves us and is always with us.  Sometimes, God uses our struggles to bring us to the place that He wants us to be.  He wants us to draw near to Him.  In James 4:8-10 it says, "Come near to God and he will come near to you.  Wash your hands, you sinners, and purify your hearts, you double-minded. Grieve, mourn and wail. Change your laughter to mourning and your joy to gloom. Humble yourselves before the Lord, and he will lift you up."  Every step in obedience to God, is a step in the right direction.  If you are still fighting God and what He is asking you to do....stop fighting and give up your will to be led by Him.  The blessings and the rewards of obedience...no matter how painful it may be.....the end results will be beautiful!  It is worth every tear and every sorrow.  Psalm 126:5-6 "Those who sow in tears will reap with songs of joy. He who goes out weeping, carrying seed to sow, will return with songs of joy, carrying sheaves with him."  May the God who brought you to this place, bring you forth out of the darkness and into His marvelous light.  May your joy be complete in Him.   

"As the Father has loved me, so have I loved you.  Now remain in my love.  If you obey my commands, you will remain in my love, just as I have obeyed my Father's commands and remain in his love.  I have told you this so that my joy may be in you and that your joy may be complete.  My command is this: Love each other as I have loved you." (John 15:9-12)  God wants us to love others with the same love that He has for us.  This type of love is called Agape love.  Dictionary.com defines agape love in a couple different ways.     1The love of God or Christ for humankind. 2The love of Christians for other persons, corresponding to the love of God for humankind. 3Unselfish love of one person for another without sexual implications; brotherly love.  "Whoever does not love does not know God, because God is love."(1 John 4:8)  In 1 John 4:16b, it says, "God is love. Whoever lives in love lives in God, and God in him."  We are called to love, because that is what shows others that God is in us.  In the book of John shortly before Jesus predicts Peter's denial of Him, Jesus gives us a new command, "A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this all men will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another."(John 13:34)  I don't know about you, but there is nothing more powerful than sharing Christ's agape love with one another.  If you are protecting yourself from the pain and hurt, by not loving....you are also denying yourself the joy and hope that you can gain by sharing Christ's love.  Do you know someone that is hurting and needs God?  The best thing that you could do is show them love, like that which you have from God.  As you love others and draw near to the Lord, you will feel a peace that you can't have without God.  Only in His presence will you experience the peace that passes all understanding.  The Lord has a plan for each of our lives.  "For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord,"plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."(Jeremiah 29:11)  As we choose to be obedient, He will shows us the path to take.  He will guide our steps, if we allow Him to.  Every step in obedience, is a step in the right direction.  Choose to be obedient today and move out of God's way!   

"You have made known to me the paths of life; You will fill me with joy in Your presence."(Acts 2:28)                          

No comments:

Post a Comment