Saturday, November 7, 2009

Welcome and Unexpected changes

Well, it has been 2 weeks since we initially started testing dairy. It has definitely been interesting! The first week was somewhat of a challenge, with our new milk being Vanilla Rice Milk and not cow's milk. It was also a bit challenging finding new meals, that didn't contain dairy, except milk(since we could substitute the rice milk). We have learned that we do not notice a big difference in our meals that we substitute with Original Rice milk. We have come up with some pretty creative things during the last week. I won't go in to that! :) Since we are still limited to stage one, until after we figure out exactly what dairy products we are allergic to, we haven't tried to introduce anything with tomatoes(stage 2). We are hoping to get sour cream, cream cheese, cheese and whipping cream tested before Thanksgiving. We are also hoping to be able to test cranberries and grapes before Thanksgiving too. Thanksgiving is the only time of year we have an amazing Cranberry salad with both cranberries and grapes and a few other items.

Since my last post, we have also been able to identify *something* that was causing a problem. The culprit was MOLASSES. In many organic foods, Corn Syrup and High Frutcose Corn Syrup and not used, instead other natural sweetners are used. Molasses was sneaky, but we finally tracked it down. After making some amazing Banana Bran Bread, everyone reacted(even Chance). I knew that we had made a break through. Because we have been on Stage One for a little over 8 weeks, our reactions occur pretty quick. They usually do not last more than a day, for most of us. We were able to narrow the reaction down to the molasses in the Bran muffin mix. I had some other unanswered reactions, charted on everyone's lists. I was unaware of what they were from, until I did a little research on the Feingold message board. I was able to discover that some peanut butters contain molasses. It just so happens that Jiff is the one we have and it contains molasses. This matched up with numerous incidents(reactions) that I had unexplained on my charting. After doing a little more research, I was able to determine that brown sugar also contains molasses. This two matched up with some other incidents. There is one brand of peanut butter, that I learned doesn't list molasses. We will try that one soon, but probably not before we get through the dairy testing a new stage 2 food testing. Every time we have a reaction, it delays us being able to test something new. I would like to just stick to the safe stuff and not take any chances, until we get the stuff tested that we need to. We did test cheese tonight, but it is really too soon for me to speculate as to how that test went. We should know more in a few days.

The whole purpose for my post today, is to express my joy in the little unexpected changes. In all of the changes that have occurred, something that was completely unexpected has happened. My oldest son has always struggled with temper and anger issues, has recently discovered that he feels different since stopping dairy. He told me this morning, that he always thought that he got his temper from both his mom and dad, but now he believes that it was an allergy. I have noticed a *HUGE* change in him. I was beginning to wonder if this would ever happen. I noticed changes in the others pretty quickly. Nothing really seemed to be changing for him, for the most part. In the last week, my angry child who has struggled with being nice has become so different. I can't even explain it. He is actually helping me and has become just really loving and sweet(not that he wasn't inside, but that rarely showed). At first, I thought it was my imagination....but when he brought it to my attention today. I knew it was real. I am just so amazed! Thank you, Jesus!

So, I guess that I will close for now. I will keep you all posted as to the changes as they occur. Life is too short to waste a single day with regrets. Make the most of each day. You only have one life to live....why not make it the best that you possibly can!

No comments:

Post a Comment