Sunday, November 13, 2011

GF Drop Biscuits

This was my first attempt at changing a regular recipe into a GF recipe.  I think it worked out rather well.  My kids all agreed that they turned out yummy too!



Here is the Recipe:

3 Cups flour(I used my pre-mixed GF bread flour-stored in my frig)
2 Tb + 1 1/2 tsp baking powder(corn free)
1 Tb honey
3 tsp xanthan gum
1 tsp salt
3/4 tsp cream of tartar
1/4 C olive oil
1 1/4 C milk(used plain coconut milk)

Preheat oven to 450*F.  In a large bown combine the flour, baking powder, honey, salt, and cream of tartar.  I used my mixer to blend the olive oil until it was somewhat crumbly.  Make a well in the center of the flour mixture.  Add milk all at once.  I used the mixer to combine the milk with the flour mixture.

I used two spoons to drop the dough into 16 mounds onto a greased baking sheet.  Makes 16 biscuits.

My bread flour mixture:

1 1/2 Cups millet flour
1 1/2 Cups sorghum flour
2 C tapioca starch
1 C potato starch

Makes 6 cups.  This mixture comes from Cybele Pascal's recipe book 'The Allergen-Free Baker's Handbook.'  I love this book!  This is the only gluten free cookbook that we own.  I have found many recipes online...but there is a wealth of great recipes for basic things in this book.  I love both her bread flour and basic flour mixture. We use both of these mixtures for a variety of things.

I am so excited about these biscuits!  I have been neglecting trying to adjust my own recipe in hopes that something else would turn out similar....but it just hadn't happened yet.  This recipe above was adjusted from the "Biscuits Supreme" recipe in the Better Homes and Garden's new Cook Book.

Enjoy! 

No comments:

Post a Comment